Gerringong Headland is a spectacular land holding that has remained undeveloped since the foundation of Gerringong in the 1840’s.
Part of the headland was in private ownership and impeded public access along the coastal edge from Boat Harbour to Werri Beach and from the town centre to the Foreshore Reserve.
The resolution of this edge had been the subject of debate in Gerringong for almost ten years. The Master Plan proposed a new edge street in the alignment of the geometry of the historic town plan and reconnected the adjacent dysfunctional street pattern to the west. A substantial portion of the site was dedicated as part of the Headland Foreshore Reserve.
The Master Plan document includes landscape, height and floor space controls and illustrative dwelling types. It also includes examples of coastal dwellings designed by some of Sydney’s leading architectural practices.
The document was viewed as an opportunity to educate future applicants about contemporary architecture and innovative housing forms. It has been designed to encourage future applicants to reconsider the more prosaic building types that have typified recent construction in the town.
The lots were completed and the first stage auctioned in March 2008.